Friday, April 30, 2010

SIMUN

I thought SIMUN was a really good learning experience even though I disliked parts of it. The things that I liked about it are it gave me a break from the normal global ed. classes and it was fun to do a lot of socializing. The reason why I disliked SIMUN was my country Pakistan was not affected by any of the three scenarios that my group, Group 11, had. It was hard because even though my country was not involved, I still had to try and participate because I knew that if I didn't talk, my grade would suck. I really like giving speeches on topics that I enjoy but I honestly don't enjoy giving speeches on who owns the Falkland and the Kuril Islands. I mean really. Who does?! And the whole "should Ukraine join NATO or stay allies with Russia?" I have to admit I didn't have the best attitude towards my topics but I feel like it would've been better if Pakistan was involved... Maybe not though. Next year, I'm hoping that I get a country who is more involved. To prepare, I did a lot of research. Well maybe not as much as I should have but it felt like so much. I thought it was hard to find websites for the specific categories that I needed. I personally wish that you could just type in the topic and there would be a million hits for the needed thing, but there’s not so I guess I will continue to spend hour’s googling and printing out articles, then spend hours more highlighting and margin noting. Throughout the three days of SIMUN I gave three speeches, and asked four questions. Like I said, it was hard to think of things to say because Pakistan had zero involvement. So I gave only three speeches. I wish that I could’ve said some more, but thinking back, it would have been near impossible. The questions that I asked were somewhat stupid. But even though they were stupid, basic questions, I’m glad that I did ask them, that way I got credit for it. I have to remember for next year my technique for asking questions. I listen to what they say and then basically rephrase what the delegate said, but just in question form. I didn’t really expect it to work so well but it definitely did. So for next year my goal is to talk. I’m going to talk so much that no one is ever going to want to hear my voice again. Well, maybe I won’t talk that much but I will for sure talk a lot! I’m glad I got to participate in SIMUN 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment